After we buy a tent, most of them include inventory tent stakes. Whereas I advocate for beginning with what you’ve got, some inventory tent stakes don’t reduce it. They are often flimsy and ill-suited for maintaining a sturdy maintain in your tent, particularly when tenting in particular circumstances like on sand or snow.
Step one in deciding which tent stakes are appropriate in your tenting wants is to establish the supposed use and the kind of floor. Stakes or anchors that work finest for gentle floor like sand won’t work nicely in rocky or exhausting floor areas. Your price range might also play a job within the varieties of stakes you purchase. Regardless of the case could also be, we made positive to incorporate quite a lot of choices so you could find the most effective tent stakes in your wants.
Issues to Contemplate Earlier than Shopping for Tent Stakes
Learn by means of the shopping for concerns under earlier than trying out our high picks for the most effective tent stakes. Not solely can we define a few of the mostly used tent stake designs, however contemplating this stuff earlier than shopping for could make it simpler to search out useful and long-lasting tent stakes.
Tent stakes doubtless will not be your first concern when excited about tent supplies and setup. Nonetheless, they’re important for an excellent tenting expertise, particularly when tenting in inclement climate.
When shopping for any out of doors gear, the primary concerns needs to be the supposed use and frequency of use. From there, you’ll be able to transfer into your price range and different components. For the supposed use of tenting stakes, you’re going to make use of them to safe the tent, so what else is there to contemplate?
For most individuals, this might be the kind of soil you’ll be able to anticipate or whether or not you’re tenting in sand or snow. In a few of these circumstances, you should use specialised tent stakes, however you could profit extra from some sort of anchor for the corners. The burden and measurement of the stakes may also be one thing to contemplate. As an illustration, in case you are backpacking, the load of the stakes might be a a lot larger deal than in case you are automotive tenting.
In case you aren’t trying to purchase tent stakes for your self however are on the lookout for a few of the best camping gifts for the outdoorsy particular person in your life, then ensure you know the sort of tenting they love to do. Then, begin researching primarily based on issues just like the stake sturdiness and ease of use.
Varieties of Tent Stakes
Realizing the varieties of tent stakes may also help you slender down your choices. Listed here are a number of of the most typical varieties of stakes you’ll see whereas buying:
- Nail Pegs: Very identifiable and appears like massive nails, sometimes with a pull twine by means of the highest to make it simple to take away. These are sometimes pushed straight into the bottom and work nicely with hammers.
- Shephard’s Hook: There are generally used for inventory tent stakes when buying a tent. They’re comprised of a straight metallic materials with a curved hook on the high. Whereas not all stakes of this type will carry out the identical, with the proper supplies and diameter, they are going to be a sturdy stake selection.
- Y-Stakes: As an alternative of being one strong sheath, y-stakes have three edges that exit. It will get the identify from the highest view of the stake because it seems to be a “y.” These have glorious holding energy and are sometimes constructed out of aluminum, making them comparatively light-weight.
- J-Stakes: Also referred to as v-stakes, j-stakes are just like a y-stake, however as an alternative of three edges, there are the one two making a “v” form from the highest view. Like y-stakes, these stakes won’t twist or flip whereas on the bottom, however they don’t seem to be as robust as a y-stake.
- Snow/Sand Stakes: designed for unfastened soil, sand, and snow, these stakes typically have a slight curve however are largely flat. They are going to have a number of holes going up the backbone of the stake to assist the anchor keep within the unfastened floor. Whereas they can be utilized as a traditional stake in some circumstances, they may also be buried horizontally to create an anchor within the snow.
There are different forms of tent stakes, however these are usually the most typical. You might also discover spiral stakes when snow or sand stakes. In some situations, securing a tent in snow or sand may also be finished by burying a material anchor.
Tent Stake Materials
With any piece of drugs, even the best camping hammocks, the supplies they’re comprised of matter. Listed here are probably the most generally used tent stake supplies:
- Metal: metal is commonplace for heavier automotive tenting stakes. They’re robust and received’t bend too simply, however they don’t seem to be light-weight, so many backpackers select to not use them.
- Aluminum: extra well-liked amongst backpackers for the reasonably priced value and light-weight design, aluminum is a comparatively robust materials for tent stakes. These are vulnerable to bending, however they nonetheless can maintain even when bent. If used correctly, they’ve respectable holding energy, pack nicely, and work in varied soil varieties.
- Titanium and Carbon Fiber: two newer tent stake supplies are titanium and carbon fiber. These are very robust and very light-weight, however they’re additionally the most costly choice.
- Plastic: as an reasonably priced, price range pleasant choice, plastic tent stakes can work. Though they will work, plastic just isn’t one thing we might typically suggest. Some plastic tent stakes are extra sturdy, so search for a sturdy building or specialty design. If the price range plastic stakes are the one ones you’ll be able to afford, they may nonetheless present a powerful maintain when used correctly. Typically, you should use the inventory stakes you bought with the tent, and they’re going to work higher than price range plastic ones.
For most individuals, weight isn’t that huge of a consideration, however that is an space the place the supposed use is notable. In case you like backpacking, then the load of drugs might be extra vital so that you can take note of as you store.
Even with ultralight tent stakes, you’re doubtless solely saving a number of ounces. To some backpackers that rely each ounce of weight, it will matter. If you’re simply beginning out, it isn’t as huge of a deal, and in all actuality, these few ounces received’t matter all that a lot.
Whereas ultralight gear is accessible and fairly light-weight, understand that it additionally isn’t all the time as sturdy. So, when deciding on tent stakes by way of weight, weigh the professionals and cons of the stake as a complete as an alternative of basing it on one technical specification.
- Size: 7.5 in
- Weight Per Stake: 0.46 oz
- Supplies: Aluminum
What It Made The Minimize: The MSR Groundhog stakes are the most effective tent stakes on our record as a result of their sturdiness, ease of use, and weight.
- Simple to stake into the bottom
- Additionally are available in mini measurement
- Robust holding energy
- Could be troublesome to take away at instances
The MSR Groundhog stakes are a useful and sturdy tent stake choice. They’re already a light-weight stake, however in case you are on the lookout for a extra compact and lighter stake of the identical caliber, you may get the MSR Mini Groundhog stakes.
Stake size can influence the holding energy, so remember that the Mini Groundhog stakes could not have as excessive of holding energy. These stakes work nicely in varied soil varieties however received’t work nicely in unfastened sediment like sand.
The nail peg design makes them extraordinarily simple to insert into the bottom, particularly if in case you have a hammer. Relying on the kind of soil, they are often troublesome to take away. There’s a small twine on high of the entire stakes to make this simpler, however you’ll doubtless must wiggle them round for some time to get them out.
- Size: 9.5 in
- Weight Per Stake: 1.8 oz
- Supplies: 100% recycled polycarbonate plastic
Why It Made The Minimize: The Orange Screw Anchors are a novel and versatile tent stake that can be utilized for unfastened sediment as a powerful and sturdy anchor.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Robust holding energy
- Simple to put in
- Constituted of plastic
- Cumbersome to hold
The Orange Screw Anchors are a novel tent stake choice that isn’t more likely to come inventory with any tent design. Since they’re designed to screw into the bottom, they will take a very long time to set into compact soil and work finest with unfastened soil or sand.
These received’t work nicely utilizing a hammer or your foot to get into the bottom. As an alternative, use the tube saved across the screw as an support. Slide it off of the stake and insert it into the highest ring to help you as you screw it into the bottom.
Though these stakes are comprised of plastic, they’re comparatively sturdy so long as you keep away from utilizing them on exhausting, rocky floor. They maintain nicely in soil varieties past unfastened sediment however could take longer to put in. One other use of those is if you happen to camp with canines and so they have to be on a leash. They may also help preserve canines in place, however we don’t advise utilizing them in case your canine runs to the tip of the leash and pulls excessively.
- Size: 9.5 in
- Weight Per Stake: 1.12 oz
- Supplies: Aluminum
Why It Made The Minimize: The MSR Blizzard Stakes are commonplace snow stakes that may double as a snow anchor when used horizontally.
- Holds in sand in addition to snow
- Can be utilized as a deadman achor
- Light-weight design
- Sturdy supplies
- Restricted makes use of
- Excessive value compared to different related designs
The MSR Blizzard Stakes is a superb selection for people that take pleasure in winter or seashore tenting. These stakes work wonders in snow and sand and may also be utilized as a deadman anchor. Most listings of the MSR Blizzard Stakes promote the stakes as a single unit, not in a pack, so pay attention to that as you’re buying. They’re costlier than comparable snow stakes with the same design.
We selected the MSR Blizzard Stakes as our high decide for snow due to its sturdiness. Many different snow stakes will look just like this one however received’t be as robust and customarily have the next chance of failure. Probably the most comparable by way of sturdiness and performance can be the REI Snow Stakes. Regardless of the worth, we nonetheless desire the MSR model as they’re wider and appear to have higher holding energy.
- Size: 10.5 in
- Weight Per Stake: 0.6 oz
- Supplies: Titanium
Why It Made The Minimize: The Vargo Titanium Nail Peg is a powerful but slender tent stake you’ll be able to belief even when driving these into exhausting, compact soil.
- Extermely sturdy
- Small and light-weight
- Simple to drive into the bottom
- Wire on high for elimination
- Could be troublesome to take away from compact soil even with the pull twine
The Vargo Titanium Nail Pegs will get the job finished when tenting and staking out your tent on compact soil. In case you are inclined to camp in rocky or exhausting floor areas, you do not need to cross these up. They’ve a slender design that makes them simpler to drive into compact soil.
Since they’ve a smaller diameter than most tent stakes, additionally they received’t be as snug to drive in together with your hand or foot. Anytime you’re establishing a tent on exhausting floor, it helps to have a hammer available anyway, however a rock can work in a pinch.
You may drive these into the bottom and simply go away the pull twine uncovered, however it is going to be simpler to take away them if you happen to go away a few of the peg uncovered as nicely. These will doubtless be exhausting to withdraw from the bottom when using solely the pull twine offered. You’ll have to wiggle the peg round to loosen the encircling soil for simpler elimination.
- Size: 6 in
- Weight Per Stake: 0.2 oz
- Supplies: Carbon Fiber and Aluminum
Why It Made The Minimize: The MSR Carbon Core tent stakes are a high-quality, sturdy tent stake that received’t add a lot weight to your ultralight setup.
- Robust holding energy
- Comparatively versatile
- Sturdy for the load
- No pull out loop
- Excessive value level
The MSR Carbon Core tent stakes are our high decide for ultralight backpacking. Purchase these with honest warning that they must be used appropriately to be thought of long-lasting.
The light-weight does compromise sturdiness when evaluating it to different tent stakes, however the carbon core and aluminum exterior do an excellent job of offering a stronghold for a fraction of the standard weight. Carbon fiber is an costly materials. So in case you are confused concerning the excessive value, it’s as a result of stakes comprised of carbon fiber or titanium might be far more costly.
The first downfall we see with these tent sakes is that they don’t include any pull twine or hook to make it simpler to take away them from the bottom. The highest of the stake does have a slight lip that does assist. Simply watch out to not drive these all the best way down into the bottom.
Pair these stakes with a few of the best backpacking tents, and also you’ll be arrange very quickly.
- Size: 7.1 in
- Weight Per Stake: 0.6 oz
- Supplies: Aluminum-Alloy
Why It Made The Minimize: The FANBFX Tent Pegs are a sturdy price range tent stake choice that is available in massive units and are appropriate with tents, canopies, and different shelters.
- Very reasonably priced
- Corrosion resistant
- Comparatively sturdy for value
- Works nicely even in exhausting soil
- They are going to bend simpler than different choices accessible
If you’re on the lookout for a sturdy but budget-friendly tent stake, look no additional than the FANBFX Tent Pegs. These are a conventional shepherd’s hood design and are paying homage to the tent pegs that always come commonplace with tents.
Though these are an excellent price range decide, simply remember that they’re extra vulnerable to bending than thicker options. There isn’t a lot flawed with these stakes. They do the job, and so they do it fairly nicely. Even with a smaller measurement, they supply respectable holding energy whereas nonetheless light-weight.
How We Made Our Picks
There isn’t essentially a one measurement matches all tent stake, however there are a number of robust and sturdy choices can be found. For many informal campers, inventory tent stakes work simply fantastic. Ultimately, although you could be able to improve, the inventory stakes put on out, or they don’t work for the kind of soil or snow.
Since tent stakes are an important a part of your tent setup, we wished to make sure you had choices that suit your tenting expertise and price range. Past utilizing the shopping for concerns originally of this text, we additionally used the next to decide on the most effective tent stakes for our record:
- Longevity: How lengthy a tent stake lasts and the way sturdy it’s when used correctly are important concerns. Be certain you’re utilizing the right stake for the setting and that the stake is getting used in accordance with the producer’s suggestions. These two issues alone may also help lengthen the lifespan of your tent stakes, however the supplies may also matter.
- Versatility: Whereas it received’t be attainable to have a tent stake that works in exhausting, rocky floor and sand, it’s splendid to have one versatile sufficient to suit most of your tenting wants.
- Buyer Satisfaction: Investing in merchandise which have a satisfaction assure, return coverage, restore/substitute coverage, or a guaranty may also help increase buyer happiness with the product. It might additionally offer you peace of thoughts that you simply’re shopping for from an organization that values you.
Private expertise with some tent stakes, verified buyer evaluations, and company-specific analysis have been additionally part of the choice course of.
Q: How do you utilize tent stakes?
How you utilize tent stakes will rely upon the bottom you’re securing them into, and the producer really useful directions. Most tent stakes have the most effective holding energy when pushed straight down into the bottom, whereas others could must go in at an angle. Be sure to go away a few of the stake uncovered. If the bottom is gentle sufficient, push the tent stake in together with your hand or foot. In any other case, you could want to make use of a stake hammer or a rock to help you.
Q: The place do you purchase tent stakes?
The place you purchase tent stakes depends upon the kind of stake you need. You may go to most huge field shops and discover some variation of tent sakes, however if you need a specific model or extra selection, you’ll must go to out of doors retailers or store on-line. For probably the most selection, buying on-line is the best choice, particularly in case you are shopping for from a selected producer.
Q: Are you able to fly with tent stakes?
You may fly with tent stakes if they’re in your checked baggage. If they’re in a carry-on bag, they may doubtless be confiscated when going by means of safety. Tent stakes needs to be securely wrapped to make sure they don’t harm something. Tent poles also needs to be in checked baggage solely.
Q: How a lot weight can a tent stake maintain?
How a lot weight a tent stake can maintain depends upon the stake design and size, soil situations, and the angle. A stake in exhausting floor can have extra holding energy than a stake in unfastened floor. An extended stake may also have increased holding energy. Having the proper stake design for the soil or snow sort will assist enhance the holding energy. Y-beam stakes would be the strongest for 3-season tenting and resist bending when used appropriately.
Q: Can you utilize an everyday hammer for tent stakes?
Sure, you should use an everyday hammer for tent stakes. Completely different hammers may match higher than others for the various tent stake designs. If you find yourself in a pinch, it’s also possible to use a rock you discover round camp that will help you drive the stakes into the bottom.
The very best tent stakes are those that operate nicely within the atmosphere you’re tenting. Having quite a lot of tent stakes if you happen to camp year-round or in areas with various soil varieties may be useful. The nice factor is that the majority tents is that they arrive with stakes. Whereas they may not be probably the most sturdy or strongest choice, they offer you an excellent begin. Since totally different stakes have totally different functions, get to know what’s going to work finest for you before you purchase. In case you couldn’t discover tent stakes you want on our record, return and reference the shopping for concerns to assist discover the most effective stakes in your wants.