Printed Jul 28, 2022 3:00 PM
If I had been to ask you what you carry in your gear repair kit, what would you say?
Some of us might not carry a full restore package and resort to only a few naked necessities like a multi-tool and a few duct tape. Truthfully, these two issues alone can go a good distance if you know the way to make use of them. Nonetheless, regardless of what’s already in your gear restore package, the one merchandise I feel everybody ought to have available of their restore package is Tenacious Tape.
Tenacious Tape is a GEAR AID repair tape designed to repair holes and rips in out of doors gear supplies and materials. You might suppose, “I can simply use duct tape for that.” Nicely, the advantage of Tenacious Tape is that it makes use of an ultra-aggressive adhesive that stays on even after you wash the material and might simply be repositioned with out leaving residue. The supplies are designed to bond to artificial materials, permitting it to bond simpler and create a more practical restore.
Even in case you take the tape off after which apply a everlasting patch, Tenacious Tape doesn’t depart behind the identical sticky residue that duct tape does. Nonetheless, it offers equal if not stronger adhesive holds to artificial materials.
Which Tape To Use
Tenacious Tape has a extra strong general construction and adhesive than duct tape and lots of different comparable tapes. It’s meant to create a robust bond to materials, together with polyester, vinyl, nylon, neoprene, canvas, rubber, polyurethane leather-based, and even some plastic surfaces.
Kinds of Tenacious Tape
- Clear Vinyl: out there in a tape roll or mini patches, it is a clear plastic tape with a non-gloss end
- Ripstop Nylon: A number of of the basic Tenacious Tape colours like black are nylon cloth out there in patches, shapes, and tape rolls. Different colours like sage and off-white are ripstop nylon supplies, making them extra tear-resistant and higher for tents and tarps.
- Flex Patches: Comprised of TPU plastic and using a extra heavy-duty adhesive, the flex patches are perfect for repairs on thick or stretchy materials, inflatables, or supplies within the solar typically.
- Silnylon Patches: splendid for silnylon supplies (primarily utilized in tents and tarps), these peel-and-stick patches use a silicone adhesive. They adhere and persist with silicone-treated nylon materials.
- Reflective: out there in strips or patches, Reflective Tenacious Tape makes use of a glass bead nylon reflective cloth.
The varied patch varieties work finest with sure supplies and materials, and Tenacious Tape alone is designed as a fast repair, making it splendid for in-field repairs. It may well nonetheless be utilized as a longer-term repair when paired with the Gear Help Aquaseal adhesive. Apply Aquaseal FD to the world you might be repairing after which the Tenacious Tape on high.
We suggest utilizing Aquaseal and Tenacious Tape collectively for materials that must be waterproof as nicely. So, in case you are fixing Gore-Tex or a tent, having each available may also help your gear last more and carry out higher within the subject with minimal restore time.
How you can Apply Tenacious Tape
Making use of Tenacious Tape is quick and straightforward when you have the best gadgets with you within the subject. We suggest at all times having a packed gear restore package and a first aid kit that can assist you carry out a variety of in-field repairs.
Right here’s find out how to apply Tenacious Tape in accordance with the Gear Help directions:
- Clear restore zone with an isopropyl alcohol wipe and trim unfastened ends. Ensure the world is freed from any filth or particles.
- Lower out a patch massive sufficient to cowl the restore space and lengthen not less than ½ an inch in all instructions. Spherical corners of the patch if attainable whereas slicing.
- Apply the Tenacious Tape or patch to the material masking the restore space. In case you are repairing a water-proof cloth or need a longer-lasting restore, apply Aquaseal first after which the tape.
- Clean out bubbles and readjust as wanted to get a easy and safe match. Tape may be adjusted for as much as 72 hours after utility with out leaving residue, however adhesive does attain full energy after 24 hours.
We suggest patching each side of the fabric for big in-field repairs for finest outcomes.
What’s Tenacious Tape good for?
Tenacious Tape is appropriate for in-field cloth repairs on out of doors gear. It may well seal seams and restore rips, tears, and holes in most artificial materials. It really works nicely to restore gear, together with air pads/mattresses, tarps, jackets, tents, bivvy baggage, awnings, sleeping baggage, and extra.
How lengthy will Tenacious Tape final?
Commonplace nylon Tenacious Tape has been recognized to final not less than 2-3 years on easy repairs however can last more when paired with Aquasel adhesive. For longer-term repairs, the Flex Patches are a extra dependable possibility. Tenacious Tape is supposed for non permanent repairs however can be utilized as a everlasting patch in some circumstances.
How do you pack Tenacious Tape?
Packing Tenacious Tape is straightforward, particularly if you are going to buy the patches. Patches are nice for constructing a restore package. When you have a roll of Tenacious Tape, you possibly can pack it round a pen or roll a small part of tape on itself to slot in your restore or first support package. You don’t want to hold a lot, however convey sufficient to be helpful and efficient in case it’s wanted.